Here is the curriculum for the week of March 2. Our topic is “You and Your City: Power” and our text is Acts 19:1-10.
- Sermon Notes & Discussion Guide for FFC Ankeny (.pdf)
- Sermon Notes & Discussion Guide for FFC Bondurant (.pdf)
- Lighthouse Leader Study Guide (.pdf)
- Understanding the Holy Spirit (.pdf)
- Utah Missions Trip–Are you planning your Summer? Consider going on a short-term mission experience to Utah. The dates for this year’s trip are June 16-23, and the cost is $400 per person. This includes all transportation, lodging, and most meals. This is also the official mission trip for FFC Youth (Jr. High and High School). This is a great opportunity for students to get missions experience at an affordable and safe location. For more information and to register, visit www.ffclife.com/utah. A deposit of $100 is due March 2 to hold your place on the charter bus. If you have any questions, please see Tom Urban or David Haines. If you have questions about the youth aspect of this trip, contact Kayla Nikkel (email@example.com).
- YMCA Outreach–Every Saturday afternoon, various families and groups from First Family bring food to those staying at the YMCA Supportive Housing Campus in Downtown Des Moines. While sharing a meal, there are folks there to share the gospel with those eating. Tony Didlo coordinates this outreach, and is looking for families or Lighthouses willing to join him for a Saturday, help prepare a simple meal, and then take the food down to the YMCA Campus. You can plan on approximately four hours on a Saturday, from 3:00 pm to 7:00 pm. You meet here at First Family. For more information, please write YMCA on your Feedback Card or contact Tony at 419-3975 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Outdoor Outreach Opportunities–Believe it or not, Spring is getting close, and it’s time to start planning this year’s outdoor outreach opportunities. Our first event is the annual St. Patrick’s Day Parade through downtown Des Moines on Monday, March 17. Other events on the horizon include the Drake Relays Parade, the Pella Tulip Festival, the weekly Downtown Farmers Market, the Des Moines Art Festival, the Yankee Doodle Pops Concert, Ankeny Summerfest, and the Iowa State Fair. Training and outreach materials are provided. You can participate in one of these events or all of these events, the choice is yours! For more information, please write E-Team on your Feedback Card or contact Tony Didlo at 419-3975 or email@example.com.
Overview of this Lesson:
This week we look at an important passage from Acts 20 concerning the Holy Spirit. For most Christians, the Holy Spirit is a mystery; someone difficult to describe or to appreciate.
Clearly, we cannot teach all there is to teach about the Holy Spirit in this one short lesson. We are, however, attempting to provide an overview. In addition to the regular sermon this week, we are providing a two-page handout that has a brief description of the Trinity, some recommended books for further reading on the Holy Spirit, and an FAQ concerning some of the major truths of the Holy Spirit’s ministry. I’ve included a copy of the handout with this week’s leader notes.
I have also included Chapter 1 of Francis Chan’s excellent book, Forgotten God. I encourage you to read this in preparation for teaching this lesson. It will help you understand why the Holy Spirit is not just important, but essential to the life of the believer.
Sermon in a Sentence
“The Holy Spirit is God, and is necessary for everything in the Christian life from beginning to end.”
Here are some upcoming dates that may affect Lighthouses this semester. Keep these on your radar.
- Time Change Sunday (Spring Forward)—March 9
- Spring Break—March 17-21
- Easter Experience—April 13-20
- Easter Holiday (Church Offices Closed)—April 21
- Mother’s Day—May 11
- Graduation Sunday—May 18
- Spring Lighthouse Season Ends—May 23
- Labor Day Holiday (Church Offices Closed)—May 26